Search Results For: Business income or capital gains-Developers position on renting & selling of flats – S. 45

QUERY: Assessee is a developer of housing complex. He intends to sell the all the flats in a building constructed. However latter on instead of selling flats assessee gave them on the rent. Under which head of income such rental income would be taxable? Further if sells such flats after 7/8 years to same tenants. Whether sale proceeds would be taxed as business income or capital gains?
ANSWER: Click here to read the full answer of the expert

Though, the assessee being a developer and developed housing complex with intention to sell the flats. Due to circumstances, he could not sell the flats and therefore he has rented out the same. The income from renting outould be assessed under the head “Income from house property”.