|QUERY:||Mr. X a practicing Advocate who is subject to Tax Audit u/s. 44AB for the year ending March 31, 2008 having the following transactions during the financial year 2009-10
1. Constructed a house for self occupation & he is making payment to contractor Rs. 10,00,000/-.
2. Making payment to Architect for designing his house Rs. 1,00,000/-.
3. Borrowed funds from friends Rs. 10,00,000/- on which he wants to pay the interest.
Examine the applicability of TDS.
|ANSWER:||1. Section 194(C) provides that no individual or HUF shall be liable to TDS on the sum credited or paid to the account of the contractor where such sum is credited or paid exclusively for personal purpose of such individual or any member of HUF.
2. Similarly second proviso to section 194J is also worded in the same language.
3. Yes, if an amount of interest exceeds Rs. 5,000/-, tax has to be deducted u/s. 194A.
|EXPERT:||CA. H. N. Motiwalla|
|SECTION(S):||194(C), 194A, 194J|
|CATCH WORDS:||HUF, tax audit, tax deducted at source|
Opinion Of Eminent Legal Luminaries On Controversial Issues
Whether Advocate Is Liable For TDS On Interest Payment?
Credit: Several of the queries and answers are reproduced with permission from the AIFTP Journal. We thank AIFTP for generously allowing us to host their research material.
Disclaimer: The contents of this document are solely for informational purpose. It does not constitute professional advice or a formal recommendation. While due care has been taken in preparing this document, the existence of mistakes and omissions herein is not ruled out. Neither the author nor itatonline.org and its affiliates accepts any liabilities for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of any inaccurate or incomplete information in this document nor for any actions taken in reliance thereon. No part of this document should be distributed or copied (except for personal, non-commercial use) without express written permission of itatonline.org