Opinion Of Eminent Legal Luminaries On Controversial Issues

Who Can Receive Refund If Non-Resident Employee Has Left India?

QUERY: Where Non-Residents are deputed to work in India and taxes are borne by employer, if any refund becomes due to the employee after he has already left India and has no bank account in India by the time the assessment orders are passed, whom the refund can be issued?
ANSWER: The refund can be issued to the employer as the tax has been borne by it.

[Refer circular no. 707 dated 11/07/1995].

Posted in Income-tax

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Credit: Several of the queries and answers are reproduced with permission from the AIFTP Journal. We thank AIFTP for generously allowing us to host their research material.
Disclaimer: The contents of this document are solely for informational purpose. It does not constitute professional advice or a formal recommendation. While due care has been taken in preparing this document, the existence of mistakes and omissions herein is not ruled out. Neither the author nor itatonline.org and its affiliates accepts any liabilities for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of any inaccurate or incomplete information in this document nor for any actions taken in reliance thereon. No part of this document should be distributed or copied (except for personal, non-commercial use) without express written permission of itatonline.org